Sunday, 17 January 2010

Portraits

These portriats were done as experiments after the movement brief opened my eyes to this particular painting style. Combining stencils and abstract expressionism to produce an almost reproduced photograph confining the expressive painting style. The pieces themselves where created in layers of paint so their is some relief and texture to them, which I think helps to give depth to these portraits as they involve such a high constrast, with no subtle blend between vibrant colours.

I didnt really enjoy making these pieces I say "making" instead of painting because it invloved using different types of digital technology to produce. It felt distant from what I believe to be the pure skill of painting, especially as I relate the painting style loosly to abstract expressionism.


"Every good painter paints what he is" - Jackson Pollock
And here I'm painting other people so it doesnt reflect this effectively. However I dont consider myself as a painter at all, rather an illustrator so I believe these portraits do infact serve a puspose to communicate clearly whith a unique charm to the person I painted in particular.



This particular piece (above) was a commitioned portait of the client's granson. Showing how accessible this style seems to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment